Kara S. Nickel
Kara S. Nickel is a Shareholder in the Labor and Employment Department. She represents employers in employment litigation and administrative charges and complaints, and regularly counsels employers on employment-related issues. She represents private and public sector employers and has experience in a variety of industries, including banking and financial institutions, healthcare, hospitality, retail, and technology.
- Defends employers in state and federal courts and before federal, state and local administrative agencies on retaliation, discrimination, wage and hour, Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), whistleblower, breach of contract and other claims.
- Counsels employers on the full-range of employment issues, including employee performance management, discipline and terminations, FMLA and leaves of absence, reasonable accommodations, internal investigations, and wage and hour compliance.
- Assistant City Attorney for employment matters, City of Doral, Florida (2010 to present); serves as the City’s in-house counsel for the full-range of employment issues for employees and employed law enforcement officers and for defense of administrative charges and complaints.
- Drafts employee handbooks and workplace policies and counsels employers regarding policy implementation.
- Drafts and negotiates employment, separation and restrictive covenant agreements for employees and executives.
- Counsels businesses on accessibility requirements under Title III of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) and state law for members of the public; defends businesses in ADA Title III litigation; negotiates settlements in accessibility claims for various types of businesses, including hotels, banks, time share properties, and automobile dealerships.
- Counsels municipal government entities on compliance with accessibility and non-discrimination requirements under federal law in connection with services and programs provided to the public.
- Academy of Florida Management Attorneys, Associate Member
- Dade County Bar Association, Member
- The Florida Bar, Labor and Employment Section, Member
- Human Resources Association of Broward County (HRABC), Member
- Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM), Member
- American Bar Association: Equal Employment Opportunity Section (Equal Rights and Responsibilities Committee) and Young Lawyers Division, Member 2004-2012
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star, selected for inclusion, 2009-2012
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite , “Up and Coming Legal Elite” 2004 and 2006
- University of Miami School of Law, Law Review
- University of Miami School of Law, Order of the Coif
- University of Miami, Phi Beta Kappa
150 West Flagler Street, Suite 2200
Miami, FL 33130